Auto accidents are sudden events that can result in anything from cosmetic damage to your vehicle and a racing heart to serious personal injury and expensive medical costs. Motor vehicle accidents are challenging to deal with emotionally, physically, and financially, especially if you have sustained a personal injury as a result.
Immediately after an auto accident has occurred, follow these steps to remain safe, gather information, and protect yourself legally to the best of your abilities:
- Check yourself and your car’s occupants for injury. The first priority in an auto accident is safety. Determine if you or your passengers have sustained personal injuries, and if you require immediate medical attention. If it is unsafe to remain in or near your vehicles, then leave the area if at all possible. Otherwise, remain with your vehicle.
- Call emergency services if necessary. If you determine that you or your passengers need help, then call 9-1-1 immediately. If you are able, then check on the other drivers involved in the motor vehicle accident and inform first responders of any life-threatening situations.
- Exchange the appropriate information. Make contact with the other drivers and exchange your name, address, and insurance information. Do not admit fault to the authorities or other drivers, but cooperate with all authorities as best as you can.
- Document the accident. Using a camera or your cell phone, take pictures that show the context of the accident to help illustrate how it occurred. Take pictures of any personal injuries to yourself or passengers, as well as damage to your vehicle.
- Contact a personal injury attorney. Regardless of who you believe may be at fault in an auto accident, having an attorney on your side can help if you expect potential legal issues. This is especially true if you are involved in a collision with a drunk driver.
The Carlson Law Firm can help you during this traumatic time. Call us at (888) 335-7492 to schedule an appointment or visit our website to learn more about our practice areas. We are available 24/7 to schedule your consultation via phone!